The American Kumihimo Society (AKS) was formed in January of 2016 as a resource for the braiding community in the Americas. While our focus is on Kumihimo, a Japanese style of braiding, we will provide support and education resources to promote and nurture the public understanding of braiding from many cultures.
The art of braiding encompasses many different medium, from its origins in fiber to the more recent use of beads beads, wire, and other materials in creating unique braids that have made their way into jewelry, art installations, clothing, and more.
The AKS goals are ambitious, and we are so grateful for the help and support of the braiding community that has already help make many of these a reality:
- Establish a comprehensive AKS website featuring:
- Blog articles featuring info on all aspects of braiding
- Calendar of events – local braiding classes, shows, etc.
- Braiding Wiki – terminology used in braiding
- Resource page – suppliers, schools, instructors, etc.
- A listing of local study groups all around the US where braiders of all levels meet to braid and socialize!
We hope that you’ll consider becoming a member of this group! We can’t do it alone.
Questions? Please use our contact form, and we will get back to you generally within 48 hours.
For more info about AKS, click on About Us link on the menu.