Instructor: Rebecca Combs
The Braided Splendor pushes the limited of what’s possible with beaded kongoh gumi. In this class, you’ll learn how to manipulate the structure of the braid using a precise bead count to create the illusion of hand-stitched beaded beads. Other techniques include braiding around a core and dropping multiple beads at once.
**This class is a pre-recorded offering affording access at your convenience. The Class Instructions, related video and Forum will be available from October 3rd through November 14th.
Kit: $98, includes shipping via USPS Priority Mail, USA only.
Kit contents: Printed instructions, needle, Superlon micro, Toho seed beads sizes 15⁰ – 8⁰, Toho demi round beads, assorted Czech glass beads, head-pins, end caps, chain, lobster claw, binding thread.
Supply List for students not purchasing the kit:
For the braid:
– 1 yard (3 feet) size 18 Suplerlon (try to match the color of your 6mm beads)
– 8 yards micro Superlon (try to match the color of your 6mm beads)
– 1 gram size 15/0 beads (color A)
– 1 gram size 11/0 beads (color A)
– 2 grams size 8/0 beads (color A)
– 36 or 60 pc strand of 4 mm fire polished beads (color B)
– 1 gram size 8/0 Demi round beads (color B)
– 1 gram size 8/0 Demi round beads (color C)
– 1 gram size 11/0 Demi round beads (color C)
– 18 or 30 pc 6mm round beads (color C)
For the finishing chain:
– 2 pc 2mm crimp endcaps
– 12+ inches chain
– 1 pc lobster claw clasp
– 6 pc 2 in. headpins
– 4 pc 4 mm fire polished beads (see above)
– 2 pc 6mm round beads (see above)
– 12 pc size 8/0 Demi rounds (see above)
– 4 pc size 11/0 see beads (see above)
– Hypo cement
– Kumihimo disk (4 in. of regular thickness and with a 1 3/8 in. hole)
– 8 weighted bobbins (23 grams each)
– 1 plain bobbin
– 1 big eye needle
– Center weight (45 grams)
– Binding thread
For the chain embellishment:
– Round nose pliers
– Chain nose pliers
– Bent chain nose pliers
– Wire cutters
Skill Level: Advanced.
Pre-requisites: Student should be able to independently set-up and braid a beaded Kongoh Gumi on the disk. Unbraiding proficiency is essential. Students should be able to identify both correct and incorrect points of braiding. Previous experience braiding around a core is required.