FAQs FOR AKS JUNE 2022 VIRTUAL GATHERING
How do AKS virtual classes work?
- All class information is made available via the AKS website.
- Prior to registration basic information about each class is available. This includes a general description of the class, basic supply and equipment information, etc.
- After you register for a class, you will have access to more detailed information for that class. To access that information when you are signed into the AKS Website, choose Virtual Gathering Classes under My AKS. Select Classes and information for all your classes will be available. This is where you will access information such as more detailed supplies lists, instructions, class videos and the Zoom links to the classes.
- A week before class we will have instructions available for downloading. We highly recommend you download, read and have them handy during class. While the instructions are good, we encourage you to wait until you have attended the class to start the project. The classes will present valuable information needed to successfully complete the project.
- Each lecture class is recorded, so you can “attend” later or refer back if you need a refresh.
For project based classes when are students expected to complete their projects?
- Students are free to work at their own pace. It is totally up to each student whether they want to complete a project or simply practice a technique.
- We hope, however, that you send photos or place them in the Comments for the class. We all learn and are inspired from each other
I am a very slow braider; I am worried that I won’t be able to keep up with everyone else.
- That’s OK. After the class, you will have as long as you want to work on the projects. Class recordings will be available for at least 60 days and you can view them as often as you like.
If I have a problem with my project, will I be able to contact the teacher?
- During the live session, you will be able to use the “Zoom Chat function” to ask questions. Some of the questions will be addressed by the instructor’s assistant, others will be presented to the instructor at an appropriate time during the class for a response.
- AKS has replaced the Forum with a Comments capability within class information. This will become available after you have registered for the class and closer to the actual class.
- If you have questions prior to Comments availability, please send them to [email protected] If it is for the instructor the question will be forwarded to the instructor.
What if I have to miss a class or even a whole day of the Virtual Gathering?
- All lecture classes will be recorded and available to registrants within 48 to 72 hours after they are presented. You will also have access to the Comments to talk to other enrolled students.
What is the cancellation policy?
- Before June 11, 2022 – Full refund minus 5%.
- June 11 and after – No refunds.
How long will the recordings be available?
- They will be available for at least 90 days. No transcripts will be provided.
How will I get instructions & supplies for the class projects/techniques?
- When you register for the class(es) offering kits you can order the kit. Or you can order them at a later date. Note that kits are in limited supply. Kits will not be available for ordering after June 16. Kits ordered close to the deadline may not arrive in time for the class.
- After you register the class and the detailed supply list will be available within the class information.
- As mentioned previously class instructions will be provided one week before the Virtual Gathering.
I don’t live in the United States, can I attend the AKS Virtual Gathering?
- Yes, everyone is welcome from everywhere. The AKS website will accept registrations from everywhere in the world. If you have any difficulty with registration, email [email protected]
What are the dates of the AKS Virtual Gathering?
- Live sessions will take place on Saturday, June 25 and Sunday, June 26, 2022. Also one class will also have a session on July 9, 2022. All of the events will take place online through the internet on Zoom.
When can I register for the Virtual Gathering?
- May 15, 2022 – Registration opens to AKS members
- May 21, 2022 – Registration opens to non-members
- June 17, 2021 – Last day to register
Where is the Virtual Gathering?
- All live sessions will be hosted via on Zoom so that you can participate in the comfort and safety of your home or any place you choose with internet access. All event Zoom links, class recordings, Class forums and support materials will be available on the AKS website.
What do I need to attend?
- Any device with the ‘Zoom Client for Meetings’ installed and connects to the internet. This includes most desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones, https://zoom.us/download For optimal viewing, we recommend viewing the live sessions on a computer or tablet rather than a smartphone. The larger screen will provide a better learning experience.
- You need to be logged into the AKS website to access your class pages (after registration closes). We will have the Zoom links, downloads and recordings listed on each class page.
- We also require you have a (free) Zoom account. You may get it here: https://zoom.us/signin. This is referred to as being “authenticated”.
What is ZOOM? What if I have never used it?
- The ZOOM platform and app have become very popular since COVID. ZOOM allows people to connect over the internet for video and audio conferencing, distance learning, and social chats.
- You can download “ZOOM Client for Meetings” here: https://zoom.us/download or through your application store download ZOOM Cloud Meeting.
- Please create a ZOOM account here: https://zoom.us/signin
- Learn more about attending a ZOOM meeting here:https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193
- Note: you must have a ZOOM account and be signed into it to be able to access the AKS Virtual Gathering classes
Is closed captioning available?
But I still have questions….
Please ask! We want this experience to the best!
Send an email to [email protected]