What does the $295 registration fee include?
- The registration fee includes attendance at ALL of the14 classes, presentations and events. In addition, all of the classes and events will be recorded and registrants will have access for a 6-week period.
- There is no per class or partial registration fee. The registration fee is the same if you attend one or all of the events.
- Registration is the same price for AKS members as well as non-members. We hope everyone will learn a lot and want to support AKS.
How do I choose my classes?
- You do not have to choose your classes. Your registration fee allows you to attend all of the classes and/or watch all the recordings.
How will the instructor handle so many students at one time?
- Live Classes: The instructors will be presenting and demonstrating while all the students watch the live video feed. Students will have their video and audio off. Which means they can watch the instructor’s live video but they will not see themselves or the other students. Questions will be typed into your device. They will show up in the Q&A chat box where they will be answered by an assistant. The assistant may direct some questions to the instructor to answer live. Students are not expected to be braiding during the classes. Many classes will have a follow up Q&A session on one of the future Saturdays.
- Pre-recorded Classes: Some classes will be offered as a pre-recorded session rather than live. These will be viewable throughout the conference dates, October 3rd through November 14th, 2020.
- Chat Rooms: Each class will also have a chat room (hosted with Slack) that works similar to FaceBook. Students can post messages to each other and to the instructor. You will also be able to post photos.
When are students expected to complete their projects?
- Students are free to work at their own pace. It is totally up to each student whether they want to complete a project or simply practice a technique.
I am a very slow braider; I am worried that I won’t be able to keep up with everyone else.
- That’s ok. After the class, you will have as long as you want to work on the projects. Class recordings will be available for at least six weeks and you can view them as often as you like. No worries about peer pressure or in-class anxiety.
If I have a problem with my project, will I be able to contact the teacher?
- During a live class, an instructor may ask students to use the “Q&A Chat Function” to ask questions. In other cases, the instructor may hold a live Question and Answer session a week or so after the class. Students can also use the Chat Room to ask questions of other students or the instructor.
What if I have to miss a class or even a whole day of the Virtual Gathering?
- All events, including classes, will be recorded and available to registrants within 48 to 72 hours after they are presented.
How long will the recordings be available?
- They will be available until November 14th, 2020.
No transcripts will be provided.
How will I get instructions & supplies for the projects/techniques?
- Kit Purchased: Kits are available for purchase at the time of registration and will be shipped to you (USA only) by the instructor. Instructions will be included with the kit.
- Kit Not Purchased: Most instructors will provide instructions even if you don’t purchase a kit. They will be listed on the AKS website and be available prior to the start of the Virtual Gathering.
- Classes that do not offer a kit and have a supply list posted. These instructions will be available prior to the start of the Virtual Gathering.
- Materials & Supplies: Some instructors have provided links in their class description for where to purchase supplies. In addition to supporting your instructors, AKS encourages you to purchase supplies from the vendors listed on the AKS website Braiding and Resources Page (https://amksoc.org/braid-equipment-suppliers/).
I don’t live in the USA, can I attend the AKS Virtual Gathering? Is it possible to purchase kit?
- Yes, everyone is welcome from everywhere. The AKS website has been updated to accept registrations from everywhere in the world.
- Although the Virtual Gathering instructors are not shipping kits individually outside of the USA, AKS has set up a process for making sure that no one misses out on anything. Instructors will send all the kits you order to our fulfillment staff. They will put everything into one box, email you a shipping invoice, and then off it goes. Its that easy!
What are the dates of the AKS Virtual Gathering?
- Live sessions will take place on the first three Saturdays in October 2020, October 3, 10, and 17. On each of the three Saturdays, there will be classes, follow-up Q&A sessions with the instructors of the classes, presentations, tours of studios, and special networking events such as an origami meet-up, coffee breaks, and happy hours (where participants can visit and network via live video). All of the events will take place online through the internet on a platform called Zoom.
When can I register for the Virtual Gathering?
- July 18, 2020 – Registration opens to AKS members
- July 20, 2020 – Registration opens to non-members
- August 30, 2020 – Last day to register
Where is the Virtual Gathering?
- In the comfort and safety of your home or any place you choose with internet access.
What do I need to attend?
- A computer, tablet, or mobile device with either windows or mac IOS, internet access, and the Zoom app.
What is Zoom? What if I have never used it?
- The Zoom platform and app have become very popular since COVID hit the U.S.
Zoom allows people to connect over the internet for video and audio conferencing, distance learning, and social chats. Prior to the Virtual Gathering, AKS will have practice sessions to get everyone up to speed