What does the $175 All Inclusive Bundle registration fee include?
- The registration fee includes attendance at ALL of the 6 classes. In addition, all of the classes will be recorded and registrants will have access for a 90-day period.
- Registration is the same price for everyone. The mission of AKS is education, so our goal is that anyone with a desire to learn has access to the event. We hope everyone will learn a lot and want to support AKS by becoming a member.
What is the $50 à la carte registration fee and what does it include?
- This is a new feature for 2021. With the à la carte registration, you will be able to sign up for one or more classes rather than all six.
- The $50 per class fee will give you access to the live class sessions and recording for the classes that you register for. You will also have access to pre-event prep Zoom meeting as well as your post class Q&A session.
- Live class sessions will be recorded and you will have access to the recording and class content for the the classes your registered for for a 90-day period.
- You may find that if you are interested in more than one class, the All Inclusive Bundle price of $175 is a better deal.
- Note: Last year, because there was only an All Inclusive price option, many Virtual Gathering attendees enjoyed many classes that they might not have attended, AND indicated that they were going to try the new techniques, equipment and projects.
How do I choose my classes?
- If you choose the All Inclusive Bundle fee of $175, you do not have to choose specific classes. You will automatically have access to all six (6) class live sessions and be able to watch all the recordings.
Note: All six workshops will be listed on your invoice @ $0.00.
- If you want to register à la carte, you can pay $50 per class. For each purchased class you will have access to the live class session, be able to purchase kits (if available), have access to the supply list, instructions and the recording for 90 days.
How will the instructor handle so many students at one time?
- The instructors will be present and demonstrate tecniques during the live Zoom session. Although students will have their video and audio off, they will be able to see and hear everything the instructor says and does. Because video will be turned off for the students, there is no dress code and you don’t have to lock up your puppy! Students can ask questions by typing into the chat or Q&A box. The teacher’s assistant will make sure that questions are answered by the instructor.
- Students are not expected to braid during the classes.
- Students will be able to practice what they have learned after the class is over. Access to unlimited viewing of the class recording for 90 days will allow students to review the content, stop and repeat whenever needed.
- There will be a live Q&A session for each class on April 10, 2021. During that session, the instructors will be able to address any questions students may have in real time.
- Class Forums: Each class will also have a forum hosted on the AKS website. Students can post messages to class members and to the instructor. You will also be able and encouraged to post photos.
When are students expected to complete their projects?
- Students are free to work at their own pace. It is totally up to each student whether they want to complete a project or simply practice a technique.
- We hope, however, that you send photos or place them in the Class Forums. We all learn and are inspired from each other.
I am a very slow braider; I am worried that I won’t be able to keep up with everyone else.
- That’s OK. After the class, you will have as long as you want to work on the projects. Class recordings will be available for at least 90 days and you can view them as often as you like. No worries about peer pressure or in-class anxiety.
If I have a problem with my project, will I be able to contact the teacher?
- There are three possible ways to communicate with instructors.
1. During the live session, you will be able to use the “Zoom Chat function” to ask questions. Some of the questions will be addressed by the instructor’s assistant, others will be presented to the instructor at an appropriate time during the class for a response.
2. Each instructor will hold a live Q&A session on April 10th. If you have been able to work on the class projects, the Q&A sessions will be great for asking work-in-progress questions.
3. Students can also use the Class Forum on the AKS website to ask questions of other students as well as the instructor and share progress.
What if I have to miss a class or even a whole day of the Virtual Gathering?
- All classes will be recorded and available to registrants within 48 to 72 hours after they are presented. You will also have access to the Class Forums to talk to other enrolled students.
What is the cancellation policey?
- Prior to February 28th 2021 – Full refund minus 5%.
- After February 28th, 2021 – No refunds.
How long will the recordings be available?
- They will be available for at least 90 days. No transcripts will be provided.
How will I get instructions & supplies for the class projects/techniques?
- Kit Purchased: Some of the instructors will have kits available for purchase at the time of registration. The price includes shipping in the USA. If you are outside the US, an AKS representative will email you to arrange for international shipping. You will be advised of the additional fee prior to mailing.
- Kits are available to students who register for classes. However, some kits are in limited supply.
- If you registered à la carte, you can only purchase kits for your purchased classes.
- Instructions will be available for download on the AKS Virtual Gathering website whether a kit is purchased or not. If you registered for the à la carte option, you will only have access to the instructions for your purchased classes.
- Instructors will provide a detailed supply list for all classes. The list will be posted on the AKS Virtual Gathering website and will be available to registrants at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the Virtual Gathering.
- Materials & Supplies: Some instructors have provided links in their class description for where to purchase supplies. In addition to supporting your instructors, AKS encourages you to purchase supplies from the vendors listed on the AKS website Braiding and Resources Page (https://amksoc.org/braid-equipment-suppliers/).
I don’t live in the USA, can I attend the AKS Virtual Gathering? Is it possible to purchase kit?
- Yes, everyone is welcome from everywhere. The AKS website will accept registrations from everywhere in the world. If you have any difficulty with registration, contact our Virtual Gathering Team.
- Although the Virtual Gathering instructors are not shipping kits individually outside of the USA, AKS has set up a process for making sure that no one misses out on anything. Instructors will send all the kits you order to our fulfillment staff. They will put everything into one box, email you a shipping invoice, and then off it goes. Its that easy!
What are the dates of the AKS Virtual Gathering?
- Live sessions will take place on March 20th and 21st, 2021. The follow-up Q&A session with the instructors is scheduled for April 10th, 2021. All of the events will take place online through the internet on Zoom.
When can I register for the Virtual Gathering?
- January 30th, 2021 – Registration opens to AKS members
- February 6th, 2021 – Registration opens to non-members
- March 3rd, 2021 – Last day to register, extended from 2/28.
Where is the Virtual Gathering?
- All live sessions will be on Zoom so that you can participate in the comfort and safety of your home or any place you choose with internet access. All event Zoom links, class recordings, Class forums and support materials will be available on the AKS website.
What do I need to attend?
- Any device with the ‘Zoom Client for Meetings’ installed and connects to the internet. This includes most desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones, https://zoom.us/download For optimal viewing, the Tech Team recommends to view the live sessions on a computer or tablet rather than a smartphone. The larger screen will provide a better learning experience.
What is Zoom? What if I have never used it?
- The Zoom platform and app have become very popular since COVID. Zoom allows people to connect over the internet for video and audio conferencing, distance learning, and social chats. Prior to the Virtual Gathering, AKS will have practice sessions as needed to get everyone up to speed
Is closed captioning available?
- Closed captioning is included (free) with Zoom. If you are interested in this feature you can contact the Virtual Gathering Team for assistance.
What if I have more questions, or questions about the FAQs?
Please ask! We want this experience to the best!
Send an email to Virtual Gathering Team