Reply To: Questions, Comments, or Photographs for Discussion on 3 Braids with Makiko Tada

Makiko,

I already owned KnitCompanion and knew it had counters.  It is an application that allows you to mark up and follow patterns that are in PDF form.  While developed for knitting patterns, I use all the time for card weaving and Andean weaving charts.  It has a lot more features on Apple devices, where it parses charts and can find them and even count repeats.  I am not sure if it will work as well on the more drawing like kumihimo directions.  It is free to test drive, but $10/year to use with all features.

Last night I downloaded an Android app called “counter”.  It was free and very basic, but all I need.  I was able to split screen my tablet, to have the counter in 25% of the screen and Adobe with your PDF in the remainder of the screen.

I do think being able to “read” the braid to count the repeats is best.  But when first learning a braid, I find that a little hard to do with everything else I am trying to concentrate on.

Thanks again Makiko.  This was a great class.  I plan to experiment with having 2 Edo-Yatso braids that intersect each other like you showed in your presentation next.  I assume that is why you showed the transition that puts all one color in the east and the other color in the west…