Braid Photos

• Creator
    Topic

Please share photos of your finished braids. If you use a watermark, please don’t make it too large as we want to be able to see your beautiful braids.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

The start of the “Folded (=Orime) Sasanami”.  fun braid, a long sequence, but easy to follow.

Fiber – 8 sections – Braidershand Metallic – Apricot – 31 threads each

4 Sections – Braidershand Metallic Orange  – 31 threads each

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by AvatarBeth Hardy.

so I have re-braided several times and I have decided this metallic is TOO thick, the stiches do not lay nicely at the “fold” like Masumi’s braid. Hope this helps you with your braid.

This is a photo from my Oct project.  I used 4 strands of 60/2 weaving silk per bobbin, which is probably too fine and I warped WAY too much, as I am STILL working on this.  But I wanted to include the photo to show the little clip I put on to mark my place in the pattern.  After finding this faster way to track where I am in the pattern, my braiding speed increased significantly.

Carol Benner uses a thumb tack that she pokes into the face of the octoplate between slits to mark where she is in the pattern.

Keeping track

Dear Karen,
        Thank you for your sharing the photo and your nice tip !!!
        Masumi

SASA CONVEX

Baidershand Japanese Metallic –  2 Ropes Apricot  & 1 rope Coral  – 31 ends Each –  Folded in half

5 Reps of plain Sasa in the beginning and in between convex sequence. Thick, stiff braid. Made plate hole larger.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by AvatarBeth Hardy.
      • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by AvatarBeth Hardy.
      • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by AvatarBeth Hardy.

Dear Beth,

I like the color. You are making the braid very beautifully!
        Thank you for sharing the photos of your works.

Masumi

Masumi,

Your tips sheets are great! You are very clear and easy to understand. I love the variations of this braid, thanks for sharing your secrets.

Best regards,
        Beth Hardy

Hello Beth,

Thank you so much indeed. I am very happy to hear that.

Warm regards,
        Masumi Tada

Braid on the round foam disk

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Avataryin guang.

Fiber used: 1mm satin cords, 16 strands
      Technique used: Convex sasanami

Fiber used: 1mm satin cords, 16 strands
      Technique used: Folded sasanami

Dear Yin,

Wow, you have already braided 2 textural braids. You created them, especially Convex Sasanami, by adding some space between convex and curve.

Thank you!

Masumi

I can’t say enough thank you Masumi! You not only taught us, also share the secret tips with us. Thank you!!!!!

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Was completely intimidated never having used the Octoplate and having to miss the Mar 20 live session.  Have watched the recording twice through.  It is very very good and clear.  I decided to start with yarn before I go to my metallic.
      IT WORKS!  It takes, for me, about 3 repetitions and it starts to feel intuitive.</p>

Dear SLAndersen,

Thank you very much for watching the recording. I am relieved to hear that you could understand.
        I can see 2 cute convex凸凸 from your photo. Very Lovely! Wow!!!

Best regards,
        Masumi

Made the frame for the square jasper donut using Masumi’s convex technique with 16 strands 1mm satin cords. Also, I am going to use Adrienne’s crystal embellishment technique in the Desert Sunset at the join part of this pendant necklace.

Wow!!! Thank you for sharing the photo, Yin!
        Masumi

Had such fun with the 1/2 Sasanami variation of the Convex Sasanami to make it curve into necklace! Next up- Folded Sasanami!

That is lovely.  May I ask which fiber you used?  Thanks, Sherri

Japanese metallic threads, color variegated pastel, purchased from Adrienne Gaskell’s Kumihimo Resources.

That is so nice !!! I was impressed. 
        Thank you.
        Masumi :))

I enjoyed making the convex “mountains”.  I found during the first attempt that the braided portion wanted to rise up above at the point of braiding.  Most braids you do not want sticking up, so I ruthlessly pulled the braid down even with the octoplate.  I discovered that was the wrong thing to do. Those “mountains” were not very high and the outside threads were longer than those that I allowed to rise up.  So I let the braid stick up.  Much nicer appearance when I did not force the braid down.

Dear Robin,

I am very impressed your attempts!!! They will be learning experiences for me as well.

Many thanks,

Masumi

I love the look of the folded sasanami.  I do not like the doubled strand of fibers.  I worked single bundle of metallic fibers into folded Sasanami with what was left after braiding two of the convex bracelets.  It looks nice, but I can see where Masumi said it is too thin.  But the doubled seems too thick to me.  One and one half would probably be perfect, but I don’t want to mess with trying to split the bundles of Japanese fibers.

Dear Robin,

The folded sasanami looks very very nice!
        With the folded sasanami, the choice of fiber is important. I hope you can find your favorite thickness and texture. when you fond, please let me know!

Thanks a lot,

Masumi

My first attempt to understand the Folded Sasanami, it is quite different than the Convex in texture.  I didn’t work with the acrylic first, as I did with the convex to learn the  moves.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by AvatarSLAndersen.

Wow, it looks so lovely!!!
        Thank you for your sharing the photo, SLAndersen!
        Masumi

The color change is fantastic.

Folded Sasanami

Hello Jeanne,
        You made it very nicely! I like the color too!!

I remember I met you in Iga and shared my friend’s gift with you. Also, I was happy to see you on the screen at the Q & A session.

Thanks a lot,
        Masumi

Hello Jeanne and SL.  I’m new to the world of kumihimo where beads are not the focus.  I love the color change in your braids.  Is that fiber you got in Japan or can you find it here?  I don’t see anything similar in Adrienne’s or Janis’s web stores. Thanks, Sherri

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.