Fiber Braid Challenge Forum

• Creator
    Topic

For use by AKS members participating in the 2021 Braid Challenge. Please do NOT create new threads inside this Class Forum.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

I decided to make #87 from Makiko Tada’s Comprehensive Treatise of Braids I. I see Mitake-gumi-32 with its 32 tama as a braiding challenge. I chose Color Arrangement ! as it looked the most difficult. It definitely was the hardest to load on to tama and place in the starting arrangement. Getting the setup correct is probably as large a test as the braiding will be.

I have a picture of the hooks on the back of the door where I braid. Unfortunately I did not take a picture with the silk hanging. If I am doubling thread over, I use the hooks to hang from the center of the fiber with a slipknot, making it easy to bring together the fibers on a slender double pointed metal knitting needle (these are available at kumihimoresource.com). The knitting needle will also fit across two of the hooks which allowed me to add the fibers one at a time.

You can see the slip knots in the fiber hanging down the side of marudai in the next picture.

The fully loaded marudai allows for not a lot of space between the tama.

The original layout is ugly because there are eight different colors that don’t always align well.

I need to start a new post with the last two pictures.

Now wish me luck on braiding.

Hooks on the door back

Fiber with slip knots

Fully loaded marudai

Messy starting layout for braiding

Ladder braid – Book of Braids – Jacqui Carey

Yatsu Shippou – Comprehensive Treatise of Braids 1: Mardu-dai braids 1 – Makiko Tada

Fiber – Nylon satin cord (8 strands (105″/2.7m long)  folded in half)

Findings – Black Cord End Hooks (paracord findings)

As I am a very new takadai braider, I decided to use the takadai to braid my AKS Black & White Challenge Braid. I recently purchased a set of 7 graduated colors (Black to White) 10/2 mercerized cotton from Lunatic Fringe Yarns, which I’m going to use for this braid. So far, I have warped the threads.

As soon as I finish braiding what’s currently on my takadai, I’ll get it set up and add a photo of the set-up, pre-braiding.

Jane, That looks pretty exciting. Having never worked on a Takadai I am very excited to see the results.

Alice

Jane, good idea using the rubber pieces to hold your warping pegs in place.  Look forward to seeing your result.

I am in love with your warp.. I am so bad at warping..  love it. Good luck

Materials for my fiber Black & White Challenge Braid for a two-strand necklace included Black Sulky Rayon thread and White Sulky Rayon thread, and a core strand of black micro-C Lon.

Braid underway on the marudai.

The point of Braiding shown is for my combination of Kirakai (Covered) Edo Yatsu and Naiki two-strand necklace. It is at the end of the Kirakai Edo Yatsu sequence just before beginning the Naiki ‘bead’ pattern.  The Kirakai Edo Yatsu of the outer, longer strand is done with all-black on the exterior for the braid between the Naiki fiber ‘beads”.  The inner, shorter strand of the necklace will be done with all-white on the exterior between the Naiki fiber ‘beads’  Additionally, each Naiki ‘bead’ alternates braiding direction, so that the black and white spiral pattern formed on each will alternate along the Covered Edo Yatsu strand.  One small (6mm) wooden bead is dropped along the core in each Naiki fiber “bead” to keep it from collapsing into a flat braid.

It took 3 iterations to perfect my design, with plenty of booboos.  On the plus side, not only am I much more proficient at Covered Edo Yatsu, but I’m now pretty good at unbraiding it, as well!

All done except for the end caps and clasp.  Got to work on fabricating those now.

This photo shows the the Point of Braiding (POB) on the takadai. I’m all ready to go, EXCEPT that since I’m using 53 tama, the five 6-pin koma I have on each arm don’t provide enough spaces to be able to braid with that many tama. SO, I just ordered 9-pin koma. Since they won’t arrive before the Challenge deadline, this braid won’t be done in time. However, if the forum is still available after the Braid Challenge is complete, I’ll post photos of the finished product.

The other thing you can see is this photo is the twining, the black fiber in the center of the fibers. I learned that it is really important to make sure that the twining is tightened well. When loading tama, I found that some of the threads would slip through, so I had to be careful to make sure that I didn’t pull too hard to keep the. threads the same length on each side.

This photo shows the the Point of Braiding (POB) on the takadai. I’m all ready to go, EXCEPT that since I’m using 53 tama, the five 6-pin koma I have on each arm don’t provide enough spaces to be able to braid with that many tama. SO, I just ordered 9-pin koma. Since they won’t arrive before the Challenge deadline, this braid won’t be done in time. However, if the forum is still available after the Braid Challenge is complete, I’ll post photos of the finished product.

The other thing you can see is this photo is the twining, the black fiber in the center of the fibers. I learned that it is really important to make sure that the twining is tightened well. When loading tama, I found that some of the threads would slip through, so I had to be careful to make sure that I didn’t pull too hard to keep the. threads the same length on each side.

well done jane! I’m sure it’s very annoying to have to wait on more supplies, however, this is what it’s about, learning what you need. lovely setup, I look forward to your braid. Thank you.

Finished Fiber Double Strand Necklace with end cap and clasps on.  Each strand is separate and attached only at the end caps.

Completed Black & White Fiber Braid

I can’t believe I actually finished. This was quite the challenge for me but I love the braid enough to start over 7 times and unbraid 7 rows when I thought I was done. Materials 

#13 Shppou-gumi, Comprehensive Treatise of Braids III, Taka-dai braids 1

Done!  I was going to do a clasp but I don’t want to loose so much of the pattern  

very nice, thanks for shairing the fiber….. nicely done, lovely braid

Beautiful pattern Maureen! Love it!!!

Fiber: 2mm satin cords, 16 strands
      Technique used: Makiko’s double windows.
      Braid on round foam disk

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.