Questions, Comments, or Photographs for Discussion for Embellished Oimatsu.

• Creator
    Topic

Please Use This Class Forum to Share with Virtual Gathering Attendees and Instructor for Embellished Oimatsu with Adrienne Gaskell.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Question for Adrienne- Some time during your presentation, could you please talk about what modifications if any need to be made if using 5mm pearls instead of 4 mm pearls.  Thanks.

Michelle, I don’t think there is enough of a difference in size between 4mm and 5mm pearls to need any modifications.

I’ve finished braiding and found that my pearl section only measures 7 1/2” even when I’ve stretched it as much as I dare.   I used the recommended counterweights.   I guess I must have braided too tightly.    Any ideas what else might have caused this?

Michelle, You are not letting your tama and counter weights control the tension.  You must be tightening the cords while you are braiding.

I did tighten when I did the pearl moves…..probably a little too over zealously.     Thanks.

I will be posting the class video on Tuesday, sorry for the delay, it needed a lot of editing.

I really enjoyed this class. With both the directions and the video I was able to move along well. Thanks!

Adrienne,  Just want to verify that the cord included in your kit (looks like clon) is the correct cord to use with the pearls.  Asking because you mentioned in the Inside/Out instructions to use wildfire or monofilament with pearls.  Thanks.

I think I see a sample above, done in something other than metallic…..
      But, have any of your students done this using silk or rayon or ???? before or am I going to be the “rogue” student and experiment. Still plan to use leather for stiff cord and not sure what beads.
      Shawnne Holmberg

I have used silk for this braid, it will just be softer and the ‘windows’ will not be as open.

I love this braid!

I’ve seen it made with what I believe is ball chain in place of the pearls.  I may be wrong but I’d like to know if its possible to use a length of chain  instead of pearls and if so what is the best way to accomplish this.

Thanks

If you want to use ball chain you would use it in place of the leather not the pearls.  The chain can not be used on the supplemental warps.

oimatsu with sodalite

oimatsu with pearls

Only once have I worked with metallics, a few years back. Do I untwist the fibers? I can’t tell from the pictures. Also, do I put two bundles on each tama for this braid?

Thank you.

It is not necessary to untwist the metallic fibers.  I used 2 bundles (sections) of a 24 tama pack on each tama.  This is about 48 ends per tama.

I still have to finish the braid to make my necklace which should be about 20-21″ long.  I also braided the remaining fiber for a bracelet.  Now to view Adrienne’s video to finish off the braids.

Adrienne, Thank you for an incredibly detailed class / video.  I love this braid!!

Adrienne, I’ve not encountered this problem before with Oimatsu, but my braid is not as consistently even as I would like. Thoughts on what I did wrong?  Thanks, Cherie

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.