Questions, Comments, or Photographs for Discussion on 3 Braids with Makiko Tada

• Creator
    Topic

Please Use This Class Forum to Share with Virtual Gathering Attendees on “Three Twisted Braids” with Makiko Tada.

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

I think I’m starting to get the hang of the covered Edo Yatsu, but I am looking forward to watching Makiko’s hand movements again now that I have some idea of what she was doing.  My real question is how to transition from a section of color 1 being on the inside and color 2 on the outside, to a section of the opposite, with color 2 on the inside and color 1 on the outside.  It seems like I should rearrange my cords between the two sections, but I’m not sure how.

I’m starting with this before going on to the twisted braids because I have never done it before and I really liked the look of the samples that had it.

I have done the covered Edo Yatsu a few times. To change color, I do believe, you just start to braid with the color you want to hide for a few repeats and then braid the color you want on the outside. Make sense?

You don’t need to rearrange the cords.

Thank you! That is working.  I must have been overthinking it. 🙂

Thank you, Martha and Teryl!

I hope you are enjoying covered Edo-Yatsu.

I think I have Hira-Nejiri down and am enjoying this braid.  This class was a skill huge expansion for me.  I will be working my way through the remaining 2 braids in the handout next.

I am hoping Makiko’s video is available separate from the ZOOM recording.  There was a lot of unmuted speaker and audio feedback while the video was playing making it much harder to follow.  I really want to play with some of the transitions that were in the video but not the handout.

I love how the Edo Yatsu braid was the common element for all the classes today, but every instructor had a different “twist” on it.

Hira-Nejiri 1 (red and yellow) and Hira-Nejiri 2 (black and green).

Karen, Makiko’s video is on her class page now.  I think you will find that the video really clarifies the written instructions.

Hi Carolyn!

Your works are beautiful as usual!

Thank you, Adrienne!

On the first page of instructions, braid one, Hira-Nejiri 1………
      I’m stuck on if you move A four times then B four times and C once or do you move A once, B once, for four repeats and then C?  One of those mental  road blocks for my old brain.

Teryl, I’ve merged your question with the larger discussion on Three Braids. Can you update this with which braid you are referencing or provide any additional descriptive information?

For Hira-Nejiri 1 you do AB 4x then C, so ABABABABC.  Or (AB)4x (C).

I just finished all 3 twisted braids and was impressed with how clear the instructions are (as long as I did not over think it).  I had to do the 3rd braid this morning with a clear mind, but it was not as scary as the length of the diagram suggests.  It helped me to understand the big picture in the steps in Hira-Nejiri 3:

AB is the same as braid Hira-Nejiri 1: Edo-Yatsu and Hira-Kongoh.

C is a repositioning step to rearrange colors.

E is inside Edo-Yatsu

F is outside Edo-Yatsu. ***

Steps E & F are covered first in Makiko’s video as color switching before she gives detailed instructions on the 3 twisted braids.

G is another color repositioning step to be set up to repeat from the beginning.

*** I was a little confused by the diagrams in F since there are adjacent tamas moving  with multiple arrows.  Makiko’s video clearly shows how to do this, but I did not realize it was outside Edo-Yatsu until I braided it twice!  You just grab these adjacent tamas and move them as a unit, keeping the unit’s relative tama positions  unchanged.  This might be more obvious to more experienced braiders, but since it was new to me, I figured it might be new to others.

Hi  Teryl!

Please, try to braid as Karen wrote, thank you!

Thank you, Cherie and Karen!

I agree with Karen.   I need to watch the video again in slow motion.   The mirroring problem with the camera really confused me.   I think another run through without the audio issues will help too.    I am going to dig out some yarn for a first attempt before trying it in metallics.

The video is available now!!!

Michelle,  I did the same with the video – 75% speed allowed me to better see the hand movements while still understanding the instructions.  Still moving slowly on braid one but hope to have all 3 completed before Saturday.  (High expectations!!)

My brain was having trouble with Hira-Kongoh, which is funny because it is probably the easiest step.  But Makiko seemed to have more twist in her point of braiding than I did on Hira-Kongoh, and I could not figure out why.  I think I was doing it right all along, my point of braiding was just looser somehow in the beginning.

I am loving the bird’s eye view of these videos.   They are so clear.  I am sure an in person class would allow feedback when I am doing something wrong and I do not realize it.  But the virtual learning lets me pick a time where my mind is clear to braid.  Lets me walk away when I need to.  Lets me take more time when I need it and move on when I feel like it.  I am less distracted by fellow students.  I have less “performance” anxiety.  Frankly, it is a pretty nice environment for learning!  (Yes I am an introvert.)

I have been using KnitCompanion on my phone for its counters, since I seem to lose count on these braids where you repeat 6x to 9x.  I noticed there are other more simple and free counter apps which I may try.  I am started to be able to “read” the finished braid to count the repeats too.  Does anyone else have a secret to keeping count?  Maybe I need to learn to count with my toes?

3 twisted braids

good question on secrets for keeping count of the repeats

Thank you, Melodie!

I hope you enjoyed the workshop.

Gorgeous! Thanks for posting!

Thank you for the beautiful works, Karen!

I will try KnitCompanion!

It will be good idea, thank you!

Makiko,

I already owned KnitCompanion and knew it had counters.  It is an application that allows you to mark up and follow patterns that are in PDF form.  While developed for knitting patterns, I use all the time for card weaving and Andean weaving charts.  It has a lot more features on Apple devices, where it parses charts and can find them and even count repeats.  I am not sure if it will work as well on the more drawing like kumihimo directions.  It is free to test drive, but $10/year to use with all features.

Last night I downloaded an Android app called “counter”.  It was free and very basic, but all I need.  I was able to split screen my tablet, to have the counter in 25% of the screen and Adobe with your PDF in the remainder of the screen.

I do think being able to “read” the braid to count the repeats is best.  But when first learning a braid, I find that a little hard to do with everything else I am trying to concentrate on.

Thanks again Makiko.  This was a great class.  I plan to experiment with having 2 Edo-Yatso braids that intersect each other like you showed in your presentation next.  I assume that is why you showed the transition that puts all one color in the east and the other color in the west…

Thank you, Karen!

I think I could understand your explanation.

Hi Michelle,

Sorry my mistake about the mirroring problem with the camera.

I hope you already understand your problem.

I’m really pleased with these braids.  It was such a learning experience!  I know my sample has mistakes, but I was definitely finding it much easier to braid by the time I reached the end.  One thing in particular: I am very happy I decided to try just the Edo Yatsu switching at the very beginning, because it made Hira-Nejiri 3 so much easier to understand!

Three Twisted Braids sample

Thank you, Martha!

I love your sample braid!

I was very happy when I came up with the idea of the covered Edo-Yatsu. Therefore, I would be happy if you could make effective use of it.

After watching and re-watching the videos I finally decided to get started.  One of my problems has been understanding the Hira Kongoh  moves in the efficient way that Makiko has shown us.  I have made my first few sections using the ‘less efficient’ approach.  Also, my braid as compared to Makiko’s photo do not seem to have the same curved look to them.  Before I continue maybe there is some advice on what I may be missing or doing wrong.  Maybe counter weight?  Thank you.

Hi Phyllis!

I love you sample braid.

Please adjust the weight as you say.

Try changing the weight of the counterweight

Then try A & B four times.

Hi Phyllis,

Sorry I made mistake!

Please try five or six times.

I have combined Makiko’s patterns with some others.  I was really looking for practice with the covering sections for my Inside-Out Edo Yatsu.  Sorry if this picture is too large, cant figure out how to size it.

Hi Maureen!

Thank you for your beautiful photo!

The big photo is very good for me! My eyes are no good.

I can see that you enjoyed making it, thank you!

Makiko, thank you, I so enjoyed learning about and making these braids!

I used 8 elements of 24 tama metallic and 8 elements 16 tama silk.

Thank you, Rosalie-san!

I enjoyed your classes, thank you!

Thank you, Kathy!

The stitches are aligned and beautiful!

I used DMC Pearl Cotton 8….I was able to figure out how to do the edo yatsu switching but found it awkward when moving the inside threads and then replacing them. Hard to tell from the video which fingers Makiko is using to move the outside thread and which are moving the inside threads so that it can all be done in a smooth, continuous motion. Would appreciate any advice on how best to manage that.

Hi, Jore!

Thank you for your comment.

I hope you will figure it out with the video, thank you!

<p style=”text-align: center;”>What a fabulous class!I made lots of mistakes and got my pages mixed up from printing double sided. Otherwise I learned a lot. I really had fun doing this. Small sample from time constraints.</p>

Thank you, Elizabeth!
        Your Kumihimo and my Kumihimo are like twins.

I love looking at everyone’s wonderful braids!

This braid was a challenge to start and I spent a lot of time watching the videos and making notes on the instructions.  I love how the braid turned out even with obvious sections where I lost count.  Not sure colors show up correctly – I used burgundy and silver silk.

Thank you, Makiko, for introducing these new braids to our group.

Thank you, Phyllis!

Your braid is great!

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Tada Sensei for showing me some new, interesting, fun braids. Made me think!!!
      Since I’m a “rogue” braider I don’t use silk and like to experiment and “play”.
      For the braid I used a Dyed Dreams rainbow dyed rayon for color play and a bright blue shiny rayon. The 1st 6 inches showed me that my Dyed Dreams was too think to show off the difference in the two opposing colors and I wasn’t getting the twist effect. Cut some out and “ah yes”.
      Then, after awhile, and my brain/hands “got it” (sorta) I decided to play with switching colors. Interesting in that the Dyed Dreams vs. blue rayon gives a different effect in look of the braid. I also played with F moves to get color change.
      Again, Domo Arigato for this new design. Who needs to play computer games for an aging brain when you can play with kumihimo!!!!

Thank you, Lucionne!

Your idea is interesting to switch the colors of A and B.

I would also like to try it.

Enjoy and Happy Braiding!

Hira-Nejiri1 Bracelet

Thank you Makiko! Wonderful class!

Hira-Nejiri 1 bracelet/braided on a small foam round disk
      Material used: 2mm satin cords

Hira-Nejiri 2 Necklace

Thank you Makiko! Wonderful class!

Hira-Nejiri 2 necklace/braided on a small foam round disk
      Material used: 2mm satin cords

Thank you for the photos of your beautiful bracelets!

It was nice to see your class, thank you!

Yin, your braids are beautiful! Was this hard to do on the disk? Carol

Hi Carol,

It was not so hard to braid Hira-Nejiri 1 & 2 on the small round disk, but Hira-Nejiri 3 was challenged. Theoretically it’s doable on the disk, I will try it later.

yin

Hi Makiko:

I watched your video on the exhibition …..it was wonderful! I feel so lucky to have been able to see it, even if virtually.

The part about Modern Kumihimo was beautiful and inspirational. I especially loved the image you used as the cover page of the Modern Kumihimo section…I believe you called it a zig zag circular spiral. I am wondering whether this braid is included in any of your current books or is it a variation on any of those in your books?

Jere

Thank you for your kind comment!

I am glad you watched the presentation.

The braid is just ZigZag braid.

Fine threads and pulling the threads tight makes the braid.

Thank you again!

Thank you Makiko…I have a lot of experimenting to do!!

copper and black silk

Thank you, Melodie!

Your Kumihimo and metal works are wonderful!

This was a fun braid to do!  Thank you Makiko!Three twisted braids

Thank you, Jocelyn!

You had done very well!

4 Sections Lime Premium Silk – Braidershand

1 strand per tama – Rayon ribbon/tan/brown

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.