Questions, Comments, or Photographs for Discussion on “F-Fret to Flowers”

• Creator
    Topic

Please Use This Class Forum to Share with Virtual Gathering Attendees and Instructor on “F-Fret to Flowers” with Rosalie Nielsen.

• This topic was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by AvatarRandy Spicocchi. Reason: Checking to see if this will change from F-Fret to Flowers over to include Q&A
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

I had such a lovely day attending all the classes in the gathering.  I would not have flown the 8+ hours to attend, but I am thrilled I can attend from my living room.  I was pretty proud of my “classroom” setup.  I had my laptop connected to our TV via an HDMI cable.  I also had the class handout downloaded to my tablet on my right.  Of course my marudai is warped and ready (almost) to go.
      ready to go
      It is impressive I did not loose power, as it was raining hard and the 60 mph winds were howling.  At least it was not snow.  I was warm, happy and braiding.

Great set up Karen!  I love that you have the computer connected to the large TV screen.  Maybe I can figure out how to do that.  Looking forward to seeing your braids when completed.

If your computer and TV both have HDMI connections, it is really simple to set up.  You need an HDMI cable.  Sometimes computers/laptops (especially Apple laptops) have mini-HDMI ports, so you would need an adapter or non-standard cable.  Most Windows hardware uses standard HDMI ports, that look exactly like your TV’s HDMI port and will use a standard HDMI cable.

I used my TV remote to switch inputs to the HDMI port I was using.

My Laptop (Dell) instantly mirrored my screen output to the TV.  Screen handling varies from brand to brand.  If you google your computer make/model and “screen mirror” or “screen duplicating” you should find how to info for your computer.  But most newer computers make this pretty easy.

Some TVs will allow you to wirelessly connect a TV to a laptop.  My TV is too old for that.  Some wireless connections only work for specific applications like NetFlicks or Chrome and might not work for ZOOM.

Karen, this photo made my day!  Thanks for sharing!

I plan to wire weave around the bead and suspend it from the rope.   It’s 4” of edo yatsu, then 8” of edo yatsu 2x, then 4” of single edo yatsu again.   

Please do NOT create new topics. Everything in this Forum topic pertains to F-Fret to Flowers.

Rosalie will have a Q&A session on F-Fret to Flowers on October 10 at 5:30 eastern.  If you have questions, please post them here to facilitate the best use of Rosalie’s time. Please indicate if it is a Q&A question.

•When you change from one braid to another, do you have to move the elements to get the proper layout? How do you keep the transition smooth?

Just a reminder: As a member of AKS you have access to Rosalie’s series of videos on working with fiber. Check out Techniques & Tutorials under Online Learning and Education at amksoc.org using your AKS login and password.

Here’s my braid!  Edo Yatsu Gumi 1x, 2x, 3x, 2x, 1xF-Frets to Flowers Braid

Hi, Rosalie.  What counterweight percentage do you recommend for these braids?

Jocelyn,

That is awesome! When you got to the end of one structure, were you in position for the next one, or did you have to move the elements around? What about changing from s to z.

thanks for posting!!

Carol

Most of the time Rosalie’s instructions told how to move the tama to get into the next position.

Hi, Rosalie.

I’m having trouble with the change on the flower pattern.  I took a few notes but stopped so I could watch more carefully.  I tried following the handout but after that series of moves the cords are not in the correct position.  I know it’s hard to know what I’ve done but are the instructions on page 4 what I should be following to change colors on the braid I started on page 3?  I keep backing out until the cords are in the right place and try again. Any suggestions?

As Roslie suggested, I chose to map out the moves on a piece of paper. It showed how many repetitions of the sequence is needed to return to the original layout for each braid. Unlike for Spirals and Stripes, for F-Fret to Flowers there didn’t seem to be a layout anywhere in the sequences that lined up for the alternate braid (S-Slant to Z-Slant). I must say that I really like the Edo Yatsu x 2 (Kawari Edo Yatsu I – modified eight in Makiko Tada’s Comprehensive Treatise of Braids I: Marudai) the best for both the S-Slant and Z-Slant Braids. The flowers are so sweet. When it becomes available, I’m interested in experimenting with the additional information on the flowers that was discussed in class. The Edo-Yatsu x 1 also made a nice pattern, but I think the Edo Yatsu x 3 (Yatsu Oimatsu – old pine tree eight) to look pretty messy and likely will not use it in the future, except in a sample braid situation.

Without thinking about needing a braid photo for both of Rosalie’s forums I braided on long braid and randomly changed from one class’s structure to the other.  I also experimented with changing direction with only one z or s direction.  Made some short zigzags this way.

I have to admit that during the live class the part I had trouble grasping about z & s braids for edo yatsu (just changing color layout as I now understand) was thinking about z & s braids for Kongoh where you actually change the direction of your braiding.

I enjoyed experimenting with these edo yatsu variations.

And, Rosalie, I was not able to figure a way to make any diamond shapes!

Thanks

Phyllis, FYI, Rosalie’s complete ppt is posted within her class information. It walks you through all of the layouts. Plus she has an abbreviated version that you can download.

I also combined the patterns from both of Rosalie’s classes.

Maureen Miller

Good class Rosalie. Thank you!  On my sample I chose to make the flower design.  Tried to follow your instructions to swap colors, but every time I did the flowers exchanged position with the zig zag design. Can you tell what step I missed to make this happen?

Hi Patricia … Great job on your braid. I like the sharp contrast in colors. Are you now going to braid a neckpiece? Another thing you can do is crochet with big loops, and then lock it in place … so you can just select the middle part if you want.
        Rosalie

I was hoping in Q&A on the 10th, you could cover again the variation not in the handout, where you have the flower outlined by a diamond in the opposite color, like it appears in the transition when you swap colors.  I am looking for the braiding steps. to repeat this outlined flower pattern over and over again.

HI Karen … scroll down and you’ll see I just posted isolating the single flower.

I used 16 tama silk for 4 elements, and four 24-tama metallic.

Hi Karen … I just posted the photo of trying to change the flowers every other time. See below.

I loved this class especially the flowers. I need to transition better….

Shawnnee's Braid
      I did my braid using a purple textured rayon thread vs. a hot pink/maroon rayon with small sequins. It is a little difficult to see the pattern changes because of the textures, but for my end use it is perfect. I’ll post my pendant “Catrina” on the AKS Kumih Group page.
      Thank you Rosalie for the class.I don’t usually braid with 8 anymore but I’m going to take up your challenge and work on some more variations from your books.

To isolate a single flower with arrows either side, do 2 steps clockwise and 2 counterclockwise like regular Kawari Edo Yatsu (2x Edo Yatsu), then 3 steps clockwise and 2 counterclockwise. To get flowers to change every other time. I repeated the regular 2 steps clockwise and 2 counterclockwise TWICE, (8 movements instead of four) then continued with 3 steps clockwise and 2 steps counterclockwise.

I’m a newbie. After several attempts, I got flowers to show on my first ever use of silk cords.

So very happy with the result. Thank you for your simple and detailed silk and metallic with pendantexplanations Rosalie!

Hi Sandy … very nice braid … the variegated metallic coordinates really well with the beads around the pearls in your focal piece. Hope you have a wonderful purple or green outfit to wear with this neck piece

Rosalie

Combo braid from Rosalie's classes

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.