How do AKS virtual classes work?
- All class information is made available via the AKS website.
- While registration is open, each class page will have a class description with high level information about prerequisites, equipment and materials.
- After registration closes, you will only have access to the class pages you paid for. We will add much more information, starting with more detailed supplies list so students can make sure they will have everything they need for class.
- We have a pre-class virtual meeting. We HIGHLY recommend attendance. This allows students to get comfortable with the online class and get supply questions answered. If you cannot attend, this recording will be available on the website.
- A week before class we will have instructions available to download. We highly recommend you download, read and have them handy during class. While the instructions are good, we encourage you to wait until you have attended the class to start the project. The classes will present valuable information needed to successfully complete the project.
- Each class has a “forum”, online “chat” feature, for students to share pictures, progress, comments and questions with each others. The instructors will be monitoring these also, and can answer questions about materials before class and the process after class.
- To attend a class, you will click on a Zoom link that will be on the class webpage. Each class is presented live in a lecture format. The expectation is attendees will watch and learn, but take time later to complete the project. During class, students can ask questions via chat.
- Each class is recorded, so you can “attend” later or refer back if you need a refresh.
- Three weeks after class, giving time for students to work the project, we have live Q&A sessions, where the instructor will field any questions students may have. These will also be recorded for those who cannot attend live.
What does the $150 All Inclusive Bundle registration fee include?
- The registration fee includes attendance at ALL of 5 classes, including supply lists, live sessions, recordings, forums and instruction downloads.
Note: Each of the five workshops will be listed on your invoice @ $0.00.
- Registration is the same price for everyone. The mission of AKS is education, so our goal is that anyone with a desire to learn has access to the event. We hope everyone will learn a lot and want to support AKS by becoming a member.
What is the $50 à la carte registration fee and what does it include?
- This is a new feature for 2021. With the à la carte registration, you will be able to sign up for one or more classes rather than all five.
- The $50 per class fee will give you access only to that class, including supply lists, live sessions, recordings, forums and instruction downloads.
- If you are interested in more than one class, the All Inclusive Bundle price of $150 is a better deal.
- You will only be able to purchase kits if you are registered for that class.
- For the October 2020 Virtual Gathering we only had an All Inclusive price option. Many attendees were pleasantly surprised at their enjoyment of classes they would not normally have chosen. Most indicated that they were going to try the new techniques, equipment and projects.
How will the instructor handle so many students at one time?
- The instructors will be present and demonstrate techniques during the live Zoom session. Although students will have their video and audio off, they will be able to see and hear everything the instructor says and does. Because video will be turned off for the students, there is no dress code and you don’t have to lock up your puppy! Students can ask questions by typing into the chat or Q&A box. The teacher’s assistant will make sure that questions are answered by the instructor.
- Students are not expected to braid during the classes.
- Students will be able to practice what they have learned after the class is over. Access to unlimited viewing of the class recording for 90 days will allow students to review the content, stop and repeat whenever needed.
When are students expected to complete their projects?
- Students are free to work at their own pace. It is totally up to each student whether they want to complete a project or simply practice a technique.
- We hope, however, that you send photos or place them in the Class Forums. We all learn and are inspired from each other.
I am a very slow braider; I am worried that I won’t be able to keep up with everyone else.
- That’s OK. After the class, you will have as long as you want to work on the projects. Class recordings will be available for at least 90 days and you can view them as often as you like. No worries about peer pressure or in-class anxiety.
If I have a problem with my project, will I be able to contact the teacher?
- During the live session, you will be able to use the “Zoom Chat function” to ask questions. Some of the questions will be addressed by the instructor’s assistant, others will be presented to the instructor at an appropriate time during the class for a response.
- Each instructor will hold a live Q&A session three weeks after class. If you have been able to work on the class projects, the Q&A sessions will be great for asking work-in-progress questions.
- Students can also use the Class Forum on the AKS website to ask questions of other students as well as the instructor and share progress.
What if I have to miss a class or even a whole day of the Virtual Gathering?
- All classes will be recorded and available to registrants within 48 to 72 hours after they are presented. You will also have access to the Class Forums to talk to other enrolled students.
What is the cancellation policey?
- Before May 5, 2021 – Full refund minus 5%.
- After May 5, 2021 – No refunds.
How long will the recordings be available?
- They will be available for at least 90 days. No transcripts will be provided.
How will I get instructions & supplies for the class projects/techniques?
- Kit Purchased: Some of the instructors will have kits available for purchase at the time of registration. The price includes shipping in the USA. If you are outside the US, an AKS representative will email you to arrange for international shipping. You will be advised of the additional fee prior to mailing.
- Some kits are in limited supply.
- If you registered à la carte, you can only purchase kits for your purchased classes.
- You do not need to purchase a kit to get Instructions, as they will be available to download on the AKS website.
- Materials & Supplies: Instructors will provide a detailed supply list for all classes. The list will be posted on the AKS Virtual Gathering website and will be available to registrants at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the Virtual Gathering.
- Some instructors have provided links in their class description for where to purchase supplies. In addition to supporting your instructors, AKS encourages you to purchase supplies from the vendors listed on the AKS website Braiding and Resources Page (http://amksoc.org/braid-equipment-suppliers/).
I don’t live in the USA, can I attend the AKS Virtual Gathering? Is it possible to purchase kit?
- Yes, everyone is welcome from everywhere. The AKS website will accept registrations from everywhere in the world. If you have any difficulty with registration, contact our Virtual Gathering Team.
- Although the Virtual Gathering instructors are not shipping kits individually outside of the USA, AKS has set up a process for making sure that no one misses out on anything. Instructors will send all the kits you order to our fulfillment staff. They will put everything into one box, email you a shipping invoice, and then off it goes. Its that easy!
What are the dates of the AKS Virtual Gathering?
- Live sessions will take place on Saturday, May 22 and Sunday, May 23, 2021. The follow-up Q&A session with the instructors is scheduled for April 10th, 2021. All of the events will take place online through the internet on Zoom.
When can I register for the Virtual Gathering?
- April 17, 2021 – Registration opens to AKS members
- April 26, 2021 – Registration opens to non-members
- May 5, 2021 – Last day to register
Where is the Virtual Gathering?
- All live sessions will be hosted via on Zoom so that you can participate in the comfort and safety of your home or any place you choose with internet access. All event Zoom links, class recordings, Class forums and support materials will be available on the AKS website.
What do I need to attend?
- Any device with the ‘Zoom Client for Meetings’ installed and connects to the internet. This includes most desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones, https://zoom.us/download For optimal viewing, we recommend viewing the live sessions on a computer or tablet rather than a smartphone. The larger screen will provide a better learning experience.
- You need to be logged into the AKS website to access your class pages (after registration closes). We will have the Zoom links, downloads and recordings listed on each class page.
- We also require you have a (free) Zoom account. You may get it here: https://zoom.us/signin
What is Zoom? What if I have never used it?
- The Zoom platform and app have become very popular since COVID. Zoom allows people to connect over the internet for video and audio conferencing, distance learning, and social chats. Prior to the Virtual Gathering, AKS will have practice sessions as needed to get everyone up to speed.
- You can download “Zoom Client for Meetings” here: https://zoom.us/download
- Please create a Zoom account here: https://zoom.us/signin
- Learn more about attending a Zoom meeting here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193
Is closed captioning available?
- Yes, it will be turned on by default for the live sessions.
- If you find this distracting, you may turn it off. Learn more here: http://amksoc.org/zoom-close-captioning
- Recordings will not have closed captioning.
But I still have questions….
Please ask! We want this experience to the best!
Send an email to Virtual Gathering Team